Welcome to the Community!

4K Ultra HD TV

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 1 of 26 (333 Views)

HT-ST5000 Sound Field/Atmos Help..

I am using the Sony HT-ST5000 w/ my 55x930e TV. I leave the sound field on either “ClearAudio+“ or “3D Surround” most of the time. My big question is what Sound Field do I use for true Atmos content. I read somewhere where no additional audio processing should be on when Atmos is playing. But I have also been told to leave it on 3d surround for Atmos. Then there is the AVForums review which specifically says “for times when’s atmos content isn’t available, you can use one of 6 Sound fields”. Should I set the sound field to Standard for Atmos content or leave it on 3D Surround? Thanks in advanced for the help!
Expert
Message 2 of 26 (324 Views)

Re: HT-ST5000 Sound Field/Atmos Help..

I have that soundbar. The Atmos plays regardless of what sound field you’re using. If you check the display it’ll say Atmos. The sound field just enhances the audio. Clear Audio is the default and 3D surrounds adds more processing to make it sound like the audio is coming from all direction. Personally I don’t like 3D surround when I’m watching Atmos. It sounds fake. I usually leave it on movie or Clear audio if it sounds too quiet.
Apprentice
Message 3 of 26 (298 Views)

The display never says Atmos for me.
Expert
Message 4 of 26 (296 Views)

What are you using to play your content? I've used my PS4 with Atmos movies and it'll flash Atmos on the display on the bar at the start. And if you press Display on the remote it should say Dolby Atmos. If it doesn't then either your setup is not right or you're not playing Atmos content.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 26 (287 Views)

Xbox One X and the Oppo 203, it’s hooked up correctly, with both running through HDMI 1 and 2 ports on my ST5000
Expert
Message 6 of 26 (248 Views)

Hmm I replied yesterday but I guess it didn’t post. Anyway, the only thing I can think off right now is that maybe you don’t have it set to use direct/bitstream audio? I’m not sure about the Oppo, but in the case of the PS4 there’s an option for that. The standalone uhd player shouldn’t have to do that though.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 7 of 26 (234 Views)

Yes, I’m bit streaming to both and on Xbox have the “let my audio device decode the audio”
Expert
Message 8 of 26 (139 Views)

I'm just curious, did you even figured out this issue? I just happened to have hooked up a new setup with this soundbar and saw that it doesn't say Atmos on the sound bar lcd display, but says it when I hit Display on the remote. It'll say Atmos true digital, or something like that. Sound field didn't matter.

Apprentice
Message 9 of 26 (123 Views)

Display on the sound bar remote or the tv remote? Hitting display on my sound bar remote literally doesn’t do anything at all for me. Where does it display that? On th TV screen or the sound bar? I just leave it on the 3D Surround sound field for Atmos. That’s what the Sony rep at Best Buy told me to do. But I’m very curious as to why mine doesn’t display anything at all when I hit “display”. Is yours hooked up HDMI to TV and passing through your content through the bar with HDMI?
Apprentice
Message 10 of 26 (121 Views)

Also, I worry on the 3D Surround mode it’s adding extra processing that is distorting the sound when playing Atmos. On the LG SJ9 sound bar it literally says “Atmos” whenever it’s playing and it won’t let you select any other modes. I like that. That’s the one I use for my bedroom and the ST5000 for my living room.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook