Enthusiast
Message 171 of 198 (1,108 Views)

Re: Loud Beep with latest firmware XBR-65X900E

I’d just take the refund.
Expert
Message 172 of 198 (1,044 Views)

[ Edited ]

Turns out the twist ending in this ordeal was that the store manager just exchanged my tv and I got the one that was manufactored in Jan so it doesn't have the latest firmware on it! It seems to be working just fine so I think that should end this problem. Obviously I turned off auto update and just to be safe am not connected to the network. So in the end, the store was the hero that saved the day, not Sony.

Enthusiast
Message 173 of 198 (1,004 Views)

that’s awesome, man! Good to see you got it figured out, I just got an exchange from Best Buy on mine a week ago, haven’t updated, hoping some others on here will update with the next update that rolls out confirming that it fixes everything and doesn’t break anything else along with it.
Enthusiast
Message 174 of 198 (970 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, at least the press has picked up on this.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/02/09/new-sony-software-update-problem-drives-sony-tv-o...

And STILL no response from Sony. My belief and faith in this company has been severly shaken. The whole point of paying more than most is the tight and seemless integration (Apple anyone?). Rules of the industry...roll out a major firmware update - but allow for rollback in case some one-off integrations don't work...not to mention if your own designed integration doesn't work. Anyone here seriously considering a Sony TV next time you are due? Bad business Sony.

Apprentice
Message 175 of 198 (948 Views)

[ Edited ]

Purchased the XBR55900E on Saturday 2/10/18 at my local Best Buy. Set up TV....and did the prompted software update. Didn’t watch much that day so I was oblivious to the software issue until I was watching the morning news on Sunday. I’m on Spectrum Cable in the Rochester, NY area. Went to rewind and got the same loud, continuous beep during the rewind process. At first, I thought a smoke detector tripped somewhere in the house! I returned set later that day and brought another home, learning at the store that there may be a software problem. New TV was initially fine, but unfortunately I failed to turn off auto updates. Needless to say....experiencing the same problem again. There is a 15 day return policy at Best Buy. If Sony doesn’t correct this issue before my grace period ends....it’s going back for good. The sales rep said not to connect to WiFi....but this is a smart TV. That’s what I paid the big Sony bucks for! Spent 30 minutes with their support team. They were very thorough in attempting to resolve the issue, but unfortunately unsuccessful. Very disappointed at the starting gate!

Expert
Message 176 of 198 (908 Views)

[ Edited ]

Can you not exchange it again? It’s a hassle but worth it if you can another tv that doesn’t have the firmware update. If you do, check the back sticker to see when the manufacturer date is. If it’s Jan then you should be good. You can connect to wi if, just not during set up. Turn off auto update then you should be good to connect to the network. Judgong from what they say, it doesn’t sound like a fix is coming soon. They still don’t know when to expect it so it’s likely to be longer than two weeks. Plus what if the new update is also problematic? I say exchange it again and keep the last good firmware. 

Apprentice
Message 177 of 198 (864 Views)

Probably could return set #2 but my whole confidence in Sony’s technology and response to a problem that’s is over a month old, has been shaken!  Why don’t they just push out the previous, non-glitched revision? And I’m concerned about future updates after that!

Highlighted
Expert
Message 178 of 198 (850 Views)

I'm sure you can relabel the last version and overwirte the current one, but hey, I'm no Sony engineer, who I'm sure is "workiing hard to get a fix out in the near future." And I'm in the same place as you after dealing with this situation. If I hadn't gotten this tv at such a discount, I would have stuck with the other brand. I don't think this is the first time for this tv to have firmware issue either, but they weren't as major as this. I was lucky that the store exchanged out my tv 3 months after I bought it because the store manager knew about the issue since his tv is doing the same. If I were you, I would exchange it again. If it works out then you'll be less frustrated about it. The longer you wait, the more likely you'll get  the newer shipments of tv, which is obviously not the one you want. It's ****** that it falls upon the consumers to research future updates to make sure it works before we install them. 

Enthusiast
Message 179 of 198 (279 Views)

Has there been any update of the firmware yet? This is very painful.
Expert
Message 180 of 198 (265 Views)

No. No new firmware have been posted and I never got any updates from them. Maybe they think if they wait long enough, people would just let it go. The anger in the forums seemed to have gone down. Even though my problem was resolved, I'm still mad seeing how long it's still going on. 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook