Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 8 (410 Views)
Accepted Solution

Why sony don't come up with Waterproof camera

Hi,
Due to a bad experience with go pro underwater case i came into a conclusion that i'll never buy a camera which is not waterproof on its own.
* It seems ****** and irresponsible to risk 300$ cam in a 30$ case with no warranty whatsoever.
Case seals can fail an i experienced and lost expensive cam for that.
I'm quite sure that waterproof cam (up to 10m) would not be damaged on a case failure.
Contour understood it, go pro as well (goPro session), i wonder why sony don't align as well with a product of their own.
Expert
Message 2 of 8 (409 Views)

Re: Why sony don't come up with Waterproof camera

If you camera is waterproof down to 10 meters and your case fails in -40 meters, the cam will be dead anyways.

So why bother with -10 meter waterproofness? It has to many tradeoffs on my opinion.

I am really hapy with the SACs white models being splashproof. If I want to submerge it, I pop the case on and go.

Also te lastest line of cams came out in June last year, 4 months before the Hero 5 came out.

Let's see and wait if Sony doesn't already have a waterproof camera up their sleeves to be released at the end of 2017.
Apprentice
Message 3 of 8 (394 Views)

First of all, even if they'll come out with Waterproof cam for 10m i'll still use a waterproof case if i'll go underwater, even if it's just up to 10m, and i'm sure the majority will do the same.
For ur answers, if my case will fail in -40.
1. Case fails and opens entirely under water: in that scenario, u'll notice and clime up to shallow water, hopefully the cam will survive the 10 sec pressure exposure in such dept.
2. If ur case seals fails, which means water is penetrating slowly, which most likely to happen in most scenario than a fully opened case, the case is still absorbing the dept pressure so even if u'll notice that at the end of ur diving ur cam will still likely to work.
But if ur came is not waterproof at the firstplace it doesn't even stands a chance, u won't even have the the opportunity to get lucky upon case failure.
Ur came will be 100% dead.
It's like saying why to put airbags in cars, if the car crash on 120km into a wall the person will be dead anyway.
It's all about reducing the statistics, i'm sure many people will earn a second chance for their cam if the case will fail.
Expert
Message 4 of 8 (355 Views)

You surely don't know how water pressure works, if you think a fast climb to less depth will save your camera.

Aside from that - I can find an argument against every point you brought up so far.
Apprentice
Message 5 of 8 (354 Views)

so maybe fast climb wont save it if u know better,

but maybe seals failure will, maybe if i accidentally drop it to water it will be saved.

i'm not innovating the wheel i just reflect what many other companies did, with galaxy5 and now galaxt 7 /contour/go pro session.

Righteousness in the details of "what exactly will happen if".....it's not the only factor, as a customer neither if it's a smartphone or a cam i feel more confident with waterproof equipment especially when a splash proof is just a notion, nobody will get a refund if its camera won't work due to a heavy rain, no warranty covers corrosion.

Sony is the current company with the most action cam models in the market, it seems like Sony comes out with a new model for every slightly feature they can find,

* live-view - yeahh..let's bring out a new model.

* GPS - yeah let's come out with a new model.

* NFC - most people won't use it or know what it is but now we changed something so yeahh a new model is ON. 

come on guys, let the customers decide for their own, a waterproof cam is certenly justify a new model, or at least Sony can make a survey in one of their social media and see if there is a demand for such a product.

Expert
Message 6 of 8 (349 Views)

You are wrong on so many levels.

Sony only has 3 active models on the market. They come up with a new model in roughly the same interval as GoPro.

Live view? Is a feature since the AS100 and it is also compatible with all the previous models, so no - no new model for that feature - all SACs from the first model had WiFi.

GPS - is also a feature since the first model (exceptions are the AZ1, which had it moved to the second gen of live view remote to become a smaller cam).

NFC - a feature since the AS100 on all the following cams.

What I have against waterproof cameras?

All the doors on a waterproof camera have to be perfectly closed, without dirt on the gasket around it.

Many people lost their Hero 5s because a grain of dirt or dust was trapped in the gap between the doors and the housings seal.

Writing "waterproof" on a camera makes most users carelessly in handling the camera.

Also -10 meters is not much. If you jump from 3 to 5 meters height into the water and the camera is facing the wrong way, the impact on the water surface can exceed the pressure the cam can withstand - that is something no ordinary user knows about.

The "seal fail" you are talking about is something which can happen - yes, yet if you maintain your housing like you are supposed to do (e.g. open it up and put it into fresh water after you went diving in salt water as soon as possible to prevent the gasket to deteriorate and replace the gasket every year, since the rubber will loose elasticity), it should not happen.

Making electronics waterproof and giving it into the hands of some people is not a smart business decision when there are still people walking around which believed the "iOS 7 will make your device waterproof and you can charge it inside a microwave" spoof.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 8 (343 Views)

I like informative reply, this time u delivered , thanks for sharing ur knowledge  

Expert
Message 8 of 8 (334 Views)

[ Edited ]

Smiley Happy

It was a pleasure to discuss with you.

Yet with the next generation Sony might release a waterproof camera anyways. 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook