Welcome to the Community!

Camcorders

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 7 (1,042 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to I transfer Hi8 videos from my DCR-TRV480 to Windows 10 computer?

I've read on the 'Net that I need to connect a firewire cable from the video camera to the computer.  I was getting ready to buy a card to install but then read that there's no support for FireWire for Windows 10.  Is this true?  Has anyone successfully transferred Hi8 videos to Windows 10 using FireWire?  Or is there another method I need?

(I should have done this YEARS ago!!)

Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 7 (1,038 Views)

Re: How to I transfer Hi8 videos from my DCR-TRV480 to Windows 10 computer?

Though it is true that Firewire is not natively supported by Windows 10 it can be done.  You will need to download and install the legacy Firewire driver.  You might want to take a look at Fixing FireWire Problems as well.  I have succesfully transferred Hi8 and miniDV tapes via FireWire.  The optional method is to use a video capture device that connects to your computer via a USB cable.  The camcorder would connect to the video capture device via the A/V cable.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 7 (1,032 Views)

Thanks!  I saw your response to an earlier question in 2016 (?) similar to this and as I was looking to buy a FireWire card for my new desktop I saw a message that FireWire wasn't supported any longer for Windows 10 so I didn't want to waste my money.  I'll go ahead and take your advice on this to get the cable and card to install (prefer that than a separate device.  I appreciate the help!

Dave

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 7 (1,001 Views)

OK...Now I'm looking at the FireWire cards.  Any recommendations?  I was on NewEgg and found Vantec 2+1 Firewire 800/400/100 combo host card PCIe UGT-FW210...it seems to have gotten good reviews.  What type of FireWire cable do I buy? I see four pin, 6 pin...will all the FireWire ends that go to the Sony TRV480 fit?

Thanks again, in advance, for your help.

Expert
Message 5 of 7 (992 Views)

You probably need a 4 pin to 6 pin cable.  The 4 pin end would connect to the camcorder and the 6 pin end would connect to your Firewire card.  I just looked at the user manual to confirm it is a 4 pin connection to the camcorder.  Looking at the Firewire card you are considering you will definitely need a 4 pin to 6 pin cable or a 4 pin to 9 pin cable.  Either cable should do the job for you.  The 9 pin cable is a FireWire 800 cable but you won't benefit from the extra speed of the cable as far as transferring video goes with the camcorder you have. 

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 7 (918 Views)

Video Geek.  Thanks!!!  I got the FireWire board and cable in today and it's working like a charm!

Dave

Expert
Message 7 of 7 (907 Views)

Thank you for letting me know that it is working.  I'm glad I could help.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook