Welcome to the Community!

Camcorders

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 2 (227 Views)

Steps to transfer DCR-HC20 videos to Windows 10 computer

What are the exact steps to transfer DCR-HC20 videos to a Windows 10 computer using USB?  I read a few other posts indicating that this model camera is not compatable with Windows 10 but there might be a workaround by using a video capture device.  I am not quite clear so wanted to get thoughts from the community.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 2 (198 Views)

Re: Steps to transfer DCR-HC20 videos to Windows 10 computer

[ Edited ]

From a look at the user manual you would need to either A) Install a Firewire card or B) use a video capture device.

If you use Option A then you would need to install a Firewire card, download the Windows legacy Firewire drivers, and connect the camcorder to your computer via the Firewire cable to the Firewire (iLink/DV) port on your camcorder.

With Option B you would connect the video capture device to your computer via a USB connection and connect your camcorder to the video capture device via the A/V cable (or S-Video cable).  If you use the S-Video connection of the A/V cable you would alo need to connect the audio cables (Red and White) to the video capture device.

The reason it is not listed as Windows 10 compatible is because of the age of the camcorder and the Firewire connection.  However it can be done.  I have four older camcorders and connect all four of them via a Firewire cable to a computer using Windows 10. 

Helpful resources:

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2970191/firewire-port-based-device-does-not-work-correctly-...

Even though the second link addresses the problem in Windows 8.1 it also applies to Windows 10.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook