Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Cybershot Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 13 (2,467 Views)

RX 100 LCD screen has discoloration blotches around the edges of the glass.

The blotches are under the glass surface, almost as if it is some kind of adhesive as it is only on the edge of the screen.  I have only had the camera (new from BB) for three months and at first there was only a very small noticable discolorization, but now the blotches cover the circumference of the screen.  The is no apparnt effect on the fuction of the camera but it is unsightly.  Anyone else have this type of issue with Sony cameras?

Message 2 of 13 (2,446 Views)

Re: RX 100 LCD screen has discoloration blotches around the edges of the glass.

Hi ajax,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

From your description of the issue, it looks like the camera may need service. The blot could be caused by dead pixels in the LCD panel. To setup service for the unit, please go to eservice.sony.com.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution".Thanks_Mitch

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 13 (2,440 Views)

[ Edited ]

I do not think that is the problem. The blotches are primarly on the edge of the LCD screen in the black edged area of the screen, not within the live active portion.  It is definintly not a pixel related issue.

I did take it back to teh Geek Squad at BB (it is under a warranty) and they said that unless it affected the operation of the camera they would not service it.  But the appearance looks like ****** and not worthy of this expensive of a camera.   Would attaching a picture help?

Expert
Message 4 of 13 (2,433 Views)

A picture would help, but my guess is simply the adhesive is wearing out, etc

But I don't know what warranty can do, if BB isn't helping, I'm not sure on Sony's policy

Anyways, good luck Smiley Happy
Best regards,
David Tran
Rookie
Message 5 of 13 (2,399 Views)

RX 100 LCD screen has discoloration blotches around the edges of the glass.

My RX100 is also a couple of months old ans also has discoloration around the edges of the screen.  When the screen's illuminated you can still see through it, buy it does overlap the viewing area and, yes, it does look terrible for an expensive camera and a SONY product.  

In fact it looks as if there's a protective film that needs to be peeled off.  Please do let me know if that's the case.

If it's not the case, I'm taking it back to the dealer ASAP and I'll let you know what response I get.  Ive enjoyed the camera, but right now I would advise people against getting one.  I comparison shopped against Canon's G7X:  I've had two Canons in that last fifteen years and they've never had anything like this.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 13 (2,385 Views)

thanks, I would greatly like to hear what you find out.  My Best Buy said they would not send it in because they know that the repair center will not do anything since the opertion of the camera is not effected.  Of course it is a BB service contractor and not Sony, but I would think they are "authorized".

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 13 (1,081 Views)

I have figured it out!

I, too, was discouraged to see a blotchy LCD screen after carefully handling/babying my Sony RX100IV for almost 2 years.  :-(

I found some web references to lcd screen delamination and decided to inquire at my local Sony-authorized camera repairer in NYC as to what could be done to fix it.  Luckily, I brought the camera in to the shop a mere *1 day* before the 2 year warranty expired. I found out that Sony increased the warranty to 2 years because of this "known issue".  The wonderful repair shop fixed it in 1 day and it was covered under the warranty.  For all those that are experiencing this issue, try to get your camera to an authorized repair shop before the 2 year warranty runs out.

I have not found any mention from Sony on the web acknowledging this issue, but I have found out other Sony LCDs have had this delamination problem.  I love my Sony RX100IV (it takes AWESOME photos with that big sensor and fast shutter!) but will have to think hard and fast before I buy another Sony camera, due to this issue.  I am currently looking for a solution to this problem (screen protector film/glass?) to help protect my new LCD, but I sincerely wish Sony acknowledged this problem, and provided a OEM solution.

Amy in NJ

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 13 (420 Views)

Amy,

I have the RX10 and I have the same problem. Do you know what they did to fix your problem, and since I'm not covered anymore, could I do what they did?

Thanks,

Wes

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 9 of 13 (285 Views)

I did go back to the dealer who said -- as apprently other dealers also said -- that the camera "works", so he wouldn't do anything.

I felt that was really unresponsive for an expensive pocket camera, and I would still complain to anyone who'd listen.

But I probably will get another RX 100 'cause there's a Mark III that's heavily discounted and I'll pass on the old one to my wife.

Expert
Message 10 of 13 (274 Views)

What is everyone cleaning their LCD Screen with? Windex?

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook