Welcome to the Community!

FS7

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 7 (1,241 Views)

Clip numbers differ in camera thumbnail vs card reader

Just had an emergency upload to a FTP site.  Producer had earlier viewed and selected clips looking at thumbnail on camera.  Took card into reader on computer and selected said clips.  But all the clips ( double checked everything) were not what was needed. Long story short the clips on the card reader were 2 to 3 numbers off from thumbnail.  For example  shot "A" in thumbnail was clip #82 but on card reader on laptop was listed as clip #77.

I have not had time to pursue farther( between tight shoots) and will try to  see how clip #1 matches up between camera thumbnail and reader.  But until then, any ideas?

Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 7 (1,198 Views)

Re: Clip numbers differ in camera thumbnail vs card reader

hmmm - that is strange.  Curious if perhaps you deleted some takes (clips) in camera during the shoot?  And that perhaps metadata / thumbnails / numbers show up for those deleted clips in one place and not the other?  That's a wild speculation only - imagine it shouldn't do this.

Was this PC or Mac?  And was producer viewing clips in Finder or via software (ie. Content Browser)?

Expert
Message 3 of 7 (1,183 Views)

[ Edited ]

It is impossible to rename clips onboard the camera after they have been recorded, and nearly impossible to rename them in post.  So I am willing to bet that the client didn't know where to look in the viewfinder to see the file name and was actually looking at the clip number in the upper right-hand corner of the thumbnails screen instead of the clip name. For example, it might say "0015/0120" in the upper corner, which simply means the 15th clip of 120 on the card.  But that is not the clip name and has no relationship to the clip name.

The actual clip name is shown down at the lower left corner on the first line of the metadata -- such as "ProjectXYZ_0078".  If the clip name and the clip number were just a few digits away from each other, that explains why the numbers are similar but don't match. 

During actual video playback (not thumbnails page) the clip number is shown at the top left of the screen and the actual clip file name won't be shown at all unless you have elected to turn that menu on.  It is off by default. So if you didn't change that menu then there is no way the client could have seen the file name.  If it was turned on then the file name would have been shown in the center lower third of the screen during playback.

Why don't you sort the clips in Catalyst Browse by the order they were shot and then see if each clip's number in the order they were recorded matches what the client thought was their name. 

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fs7

https://www.vortexmediastore.com/pro...ok-3rd-edition

Expert
Message 4 of 7 (1,123 Views)

[ Edited ]

What did you find out, is that what happened?

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 7 (1,114 Views)

Doug,
I bet you are correct. I have been shooting and will be shooting for next several long days. Will try to test it out soon but I am confident you are correct.

Just for extra background, this was shot in PAL and originally fed clips through a national network truck back to UK. But the show was shot NTSC multicam (I was doing solo host packages that we fed after the event.) It was being converted to PAL somewhere along the way. They didn't notice prpblems with my feed untill editing the show. Some duplicate frames. . That's why we had to do all this uploading nonsense.
I guessing that feeding my PAL footage through the converter is why it didnt come out proper. Your thoughts? Probably sending PAL through ntsc to PAL converter confused the poor converter box.
Expert
Message 6 of 7 (1,111 Views)

[ Edited ]

Now you have exceeded my range of knowledge (no thard to do).  I am happy to say that I know nothing about PAL conversions, nor do I want to! :-)

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 7 (1,072 Views)

Doug,
Thought card was back home but found it in camera bag. Simply checked in thumbnail and indeed the clip number did not match clip name, just as you theorized. Thanks for your help and all your books. (I have for EX3 and version 1&3 of Fs7.)
Tom

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook