bydboris04-20-201601:35 PM - edited 10-10-201602:00 AM
I'm a member of a facebook page about the Sony a6300, with many a6300 owners. I took time watching reviews, and consulting customer's feedback. I came here to talk for them, and I may edit, add suggestions on this post. The overheat warning isn't as much present as it was since the last firmware update, so I removed the suggestion.
1- Improve 1080p
2- Many user's suggestions!
3- Improve remote app - in detail
1- Improve 1080p
The a6300 4K capabilities are amazing, but many want to avoid rolling shutter, or to shoot S35 30/50/60/120p. To be honest, unless sticking the camera on a tripod, or for very slow movements, the 4K mode is hardly usable and makes the footage jerky. So we have to stick with 1080p. But the a6300's 1080p is bad. It's not even as good as it's little brother the a6000. It's not acceptable since it should be an upgrade from it. The a6300's processor is a beast, I guess the processing power shouldn't be a problem. The Fujifilm X-Pro2 that isn't a movie-mode oriented camera, has the same CMOS and has an amazing 1080p quality, less moiré, less noise. The A7RII offers even better 1080p, and has far more pixels to process. The implementations of it's algorithm in the a6300 shouldn't be such a big deal. Therefore, giving us a far superior 1080p seems realistic.
- Bigger histogram. Exposure metter that's more readable. It's locked to -2 and +2, that's not enough.
- Being able to use it as a webcam, to record directly on the computer (as a capture device) into premiere. It's great for creating content, but may be hardware-limited :/. - Try to reduce the rolling shutter in 4K mode (I guess Sony is aware of this and it's not possible...). - Get rid of the NTSC/PAL warning, or show all modes without having to stuck to only PAL or only NTSC
- Being able to see what is ISO value when shooting with AUTO-ISO.
- Add other customisable functions, ex: iso up/down, focus up/down.
- Being able ton set custom Zoom Speed with RM-VPR1 remote. Right now with 18 105 I can't access the "zoom" menu, and the zoom speed is veeeeery slow. So I can't change it remotly.
- Being able to custom W/T buttons, and the shutter and rec buttons. So when using the RM-VPR1 remote, it could be used for other functions, example: pull focus up or down, change ISO or aputure values, etc. Would be AMAZING when used on a gimbal. - Let us use all AF fonctionalities when recording a video. It's so frustration to be forced to either AF manually or let the camera do it all! Why not let us use DMF mode?
- Save Custom Functions in the Memory Profiles
- Regroup all video functions on one page in the menus
- Fix the markers; they doesn't match what's in the EVF when recording - Place "Format" function in a more convenient place - Being able to send only one picture to our PC directly from the camera. Not having to sync all the pictures. - Enable continuous af & eye af while shooting in hi speed - Improve the compatibility with A-mount lenses:
Lock on expandable flexible spot while using the la-ea3 adapter
Drive Mode HI+ not available in AF-C mode
- Improve adapters stability with A mount. Not normal that Sigma's MC-11 is more reliable than Sony's adapter
- Being able to control the EVF sensor (more details in the comments). Idea already suggested here for the A7RII. Would benefit all the Alpha line.
- When using slog picture profiles, we have to over expose by 1 to 2 stop, in order to get a descent image quality. We'd like to see a exposure meter that is also reliable when used with s-log, so without having the need to over-expose.
3- Remote app improvement detailed -tested last app version 22/04/2016-
The a6300 doesn't have a touchscreen, but it has Wifi and can be used via Playmemories app. So it can be controled via our phone and tablets. The app have recently vastly been improved. So I will only cover the video part of this, since it's near perfect for photography. It seems that the Playmemories app isn't as good as it could/should be for video.
Latency is ok ! Latency with an iPad, is very low, and satisfaying.
In-App limitations are annoying! I firstly thought that the video stream was limited to 1080p etc. But in fact, you can record 4K in 24p, and still get a video stream via wifi on your Ipad! There's no processing-power limitations! You just have to be first in video mode (on the wheel) parameter what you want, and then launch the remote app. But you can't change your advanced settings (video quality, picture profile and so on!) I'm so happy now! So it's really just an app-fix! So what we want: get all the video parameters available in the remote app! All of them!
Touch to focus isn’t there ; the app doesn't allow to touch to focus during video (by taping on the screen of your phone or tablet) while many competitors, and even Canon's 80D allows it. It works in photo, make it work for video!
It’s too consummer-oriented ; Actually, the app is ok for video, for people who do video blogging, or such. To be honest, I doubt that the casual consummer will take the time to use their camera with a tablet nor see any interest into that. Therefore, it should be more pro-oriented. The UI right now looks lame and isn't nice to use! Better to have simpler UI with more features than fancy animations. What we want:
- Get everything out of the way. Nothing function should be layered on top of the video feed (especially that W/T function!)
- Being able to see focus peaking
- Being able to see Zebras - Being able to shoot in Slog/with picture profiles
- Full screen page with settings/light meter/histogram with the ability to tap and drag a setting to change it on the fly, in a more simple way. Being able to change not only aperture and shutter, but also picture profile, audio levels, and so on. It would be really useful when on a gimbal or a drone; the camera can hardly be manipulated to set it up.
- Being able to personalise this setting page like the a6300 allow us already
- Being able to get the video feedback through USB for less latency, both on PC/MAC and ANDROID/IOS. Canon's does that. Would basically makes any Ipad/tablets, a better monitoring screen than anything on the market. Fortunately Sony doesn't sell those. So...
Expanding video possibilities via wifi would please all videographers, since everyone has at least a smartphone, and every videographer would be happy to make it's phone useful in any way possible. Many competitors aren't there yet, so make the step first.
Thanks for reading and we appreciate that Sony is concerned by it's custommer experience.
I am having an issue with looking for a setting on my TV that might have been moved after the new update 7.0 that has been released. The setting I am looking for was called 'Dynamic range' in picture & display setting. I was able to change my color range from FULL to LIMITED or Auto. Now that the update has been successfully done I cant no longer change my color range for my Playstation PRO for an Ultimate 4k FULL color range experience. Before the update I was able to change what specific color range I want to use for any external devices. My colors look way off now without this feature. Please sony I need to get this resolve as soon as possible thank you! If anyone knows where this setting has been moved too please feel free to reply back.
Many people feel Sony is the best when it comes to camera sensors.
Whenever Sony comes up with a new camera, sometimes they receive firmware updates to correct bugs, add features, etc.
Problem is, such firmware support is time limited, as any time Sony brings out a new camera, the preceding model gets forgottgen and no more new updates seem to show up.
The Nikon D700 was introduced in 2008, was discontinued in 2012 (4 years after introduction), but the last firmware update came out in 2013 (5 years after introduction, 1 year after being discontinued).
Compare that to the Sony A7, which was introduced in 2013. The last firmware update for it is dated 2015, a mere 2 years after introduction.
Same with the Sony A6000. Introduced in 2014, last firmware update is dated 2015, and the succesor already came out. *One year only*.
People see that as Sony just wanting to pump out more bodies. People understand that you need to make your profits, but many potential buyers consider after sales support essential, and part of such support includes constant, timely and useful firmware updates.
So, please, provide better long term firmware support for all cameras, current and future.
I was wondering if/when the A7/A7R will receive the firmware update for XAVC-S and/or S-LOG 2 for video?
The RX10 has received the XAVC-S codec, and has the same BIONZ-X processor... I don't think it is a heat issue if it couldn't as the A7S is the same size body and can do even more (S-LOG2, 4k, higher bitrates...)
Right now, AVCHD just doesn't cut it, and an update wouldn't take any market away from the A7S (A7S has a better sensor, low light, etc) even just a higher bitrate at XAVC-S would mean the world.