Professional Products - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 6 (223 Views)

Catalyst Prepare 2015 crashes Windows 10 - clock_watchdog_timeout error

[ Edited ]

I've recently had this issue arise while converting video clips on my desktop machine.

I'm converting my clips to MXF within Catalyst 2015 latest update. My computer locks up going to BSOD with this error message: "clock_watchdog_timeout".

I can convert clips with AME CS6 with no problems.

Any suggestions what might be going on?

Highlighted
Message 2 of 6 (208 Views)

Re: Catalyst Prepare 2015 crashes Windows 10 - clock_watchdog_timeout error

Hi cliffetzel,

Thank you for the message and sorry to hear about the problem you are having.

Do you know if your graphics card drivers are updated to the very latest?  If not, can you try doing that?

If the problem still occurs, can you download Prepare 2017.1 and see if the problem still occurs?

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/catalystprepare

Let me know.

Thank you,

Omar

Rookie
Message 3 of 6 (175 Views)

[ Edited ]

The challenge is I don't want to pay a subscription for the software - it was working just fine until recently - not sure if it's a Windows update or???

Graphics drivers for my GTX-660ti are the latest 382.05 Geforce drivers.    All latest WIndows updates installed as well

Message 4 of 6 (166 Views)

Hi cliffetzel,

Thank you for the response.

The clock_watchdog_timeout is usually CPU related.  When you go to do the render, are you using the CPU device or the GPU device?  If you are using the CPU, try switching to the GPU.  You will find the video processing device menu up in the Prepare options on the upper right hand corner.

Can you tell me the format of the assets you are trying to transcode, and what format exactly you are trying to transcode to?

Most likely a bad driver got installed somewhere, and that is what is causing the error.  Are there any other drivers that may have gotten installed recently?

Thank you,

Omar

Rookie
Message 5 of 6 (164 Views)

I reset preferences for Catalyst Prepare 2015.1.2 - The app has always been set to render with GPU.  I'm converting my Olympus mirrorless h264 MOV assets to XVAC-L MXF 422 50mbps for editing in Vegas Pro.

I may have discovered the issue:  my CPU is slightly overclocked - I have RealTemp installed to monitor CPU/GPU temps and got to thinking this might be overstressing the CPU.  I disabled the CPU Turbo mode in RealTemp and was able to render 10 clips I had tried preveiously to convert in Catalyst Prepare that would crash randomly.  I believe that it was a combination of CPU temps and slight overclocking issues when Turbo mode is active.

Other than trying this, I don't know if I've resolved the issue or not.  Catalyst is a great product to work with in conjunction with Vegas Pro for my needs and other than this issue arising, it has been rock solid.

Message 6 of 6 (162 Views)

Hi cliffetzel,

Thanks for the response, glad to know you figured it out!  Ironically, I was just about to recommend checking if your computer was overclocked.  A overclocked CPU can often be caused by a hardware issue and easily cause the clock_watchdog_timeout error you were seeing.  As long as the CPU is no longer being overclocked, this issue should be resolved.

Let me know if you start to see this again.  Glad you have enjoyed the software!

Omar

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook