Professional Products - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 1 of 3 (2,058 Views)

catalyst Browse transcode XAVC

I'm confused about XAVC workflow.

Because I still use FCP 7 and can't use XAVC files directly  I usually transcode to Pro Res for my use. 

However many of my clients can use XAVC and I wish to show them how to work with Catalyst Browse or prep files for them myself.

I'm guessing that like with the XDCAM BAVC folder , i want to get the MXF files outside of the XDRoot folder.
Is that correct?

I think what i'm supposed to do supposed to do is use Catalyst Browse and after choosing the correct XDRoot folder and destination,  hit  "Transcode".  Here I pick the destination codec as XAVC-I again, and choose whether I want to create  files that have been color corrected or are untouched.

What i don't get is whether this means I am re compressing my original files . I don't think so , but isn't that what "transcode" would  usually mean?   If I choose to color correct or add a LUT, I'm not baking that in to a newly compressed file am I? In XDCAM the initial step with Content Browser simply pulls the  XDCAM MOV's off the BAVC folder so they are usuable, but its not a recompression. Is that transcoding? 

So what is actually going on ? Does the color correction simply add metadata . Does the same thing happen wihen "transcoding" to ProRes? Where is the metadata kept?

Sorry to be so dense, I know these are basic questions.

lenny

What's happening when you use Catalyst Browse to "Transcode" from FS7 material shot in XAVC 

Message 2 of 3 (2,001 Views)

Re: catalyst Browse transcode XAVC

When you apply corrections as part of a transcode you are re-encoding the file in a different format with baked-in corrections. This is different from what we typically do with XDCAM/XDCAM EX files in FCP 7. Our plugins would rewrap to .mov without transcoding. This feature will be in a forthcoming Catalyst update.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 3 (465 Views)

Re: catalyst Browse transcode XAVC

Was this ever resolved? Can Catalyst Browse rewrap mxf to mov without transcoding?

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook