Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Hardware & Networking

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 11 of 20 (3,869 Views)

Re: Sony Vaio Pro 13 fan rattle noise

A note to the next poor soul that finds himself in this situation. The model numbers for the various SVP13213s that are out there are completely confusing (thanks Sony!) - not to mention that the model number on the bottom of the machine bear NO RESEMBLANCE to the actual model number (see Vaio Care software). However it appears the fan is available in two options:

• with heatsink (about $90)
  • without the heatsink (about $50)

The original part is actually a Panasonic in mine, BTW,

If you order the replacement fan, you would be forgiven for thinking that the new fan will not fit the current unit (I was 99% sure it didn't - even complained I got the wrong part) - fear not - IT DOES.  Being very careful not to disturb any wires, you need to fit the new fan behind the heatsink in such a way as thee heatsink curls around on top of it. It is for this reason that the new fan looks like a mismatch. The new fan actual fits into the shroud of the old combined heatsink/fan and tucks in underneath it (once the old fan is removed).

Another tip - don't forget the thermal paste. You'll need to reapply some thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink when you replace the part.

Apprentice
Message 12 of 20 (3,849 Views)

Yes. I can confirm 100% if you have to get a replacement fan from ebay you have to get it with the heatsink and also clean off the old thermal paste with alcohol and reapply some new thermal paste. The heatsink rods conencting to the fan get so hot that it hurts to touch them.

I didn't bother contacting Sony as I had bad experiences before with a Sony Vaio .. 3 months after buying a new Vaio Z12 or was it a Z13, I can't remember the predecessor to the Pro 13. they made is so thin that the slightest amount of pressure when the laptop was closed would cause the keys to dig into the screen and create permanent marks on the screen. I called up Sony as it was still under warranty and they tried to worm their way out of providing a free fix for the screen, in the end it ended with some Asian guy at sony screaming down the phone at me saying 'NO we won't', in the end I caved in and paid the £300 for a new screen and it took weeks and weeks to sort out. Then most reluctantly given my previous experience I bought a Sony Vaio Pro 13 as I wanted an ultra light powerful laptop, within about 10 months or so the fan went bust, grinding and making noises, the laptop was unusable wit the noise and overheating, I didn't expect that from a £2,000+ laptop, I didn't bother contacting them as they would have caused me problems and tried to wriggle out of any replacement so I did it myself, a few months later Sony announced that it was ditching the Vaio laptop product brand - but they would hand on their heart continue to support it. Well go figure... it was an overpriced prodcut that could not compete and had component and design problems for short / long term conumer use of course they had to ditch the brand. Sony did the same with the Sony Vita, a great product, didn't sell the millions that they wanted it to so they ditched the brand and left millions high and dry with a handheld gaming device that only now does the odd Japanese RPG game. Now Sony is trying to ****** the new PS4 which has 4K support and also Sony VR headset for the PS4 .... well sorry Sony TWICE bitten (not once !) ... twice shy as they say in England, I aint buying it.

Apprentice
Message 13 of 20 (3,817 Views)

Just to be clear, in my experience at least, you do NOT need to be the combined heatsink/fan unit, you only need to be the fan (for the Sony VAIO Pro 13 SVP13213 series anyway). It was explained to me by a Sony parts dealer that at first Sony only provided the combined unit at first, but presumably they realized that was unnecessary and started selling just the fan (as did many of the aftermarket makers). Its a very careful process that is required - watch some of the videos out there. Notably processes requiring care are: removing the case, dislodging the heatsink, relocating the cables, unplugging/replugging the cables (hint: tweezers) and pasting the heatsink CPU.

Check out laptopparts.com (I think) for the best coverage of the process. Second to that is some YouTube videos.

Best of luck
Apprentice
Message 14 of 20 (1,915 Views)

I'm on my 2nd fan replacement and just now the noise has become unbearable. The new  fans you buy off ebay only  last 9 months to 12 months or so before the noise problem kicks in. Is there a batch of faulty fans out there in the world ? 

Is it Sony's fault or the fan design ? in that the fans are cheap and break after x 1000 hours of use ???

It doesn't help that there is absolutely no way to manually control the fan (and I've looked into how to do that). It's no surprise that Sony discontinued the VAIO range and sold it on....

gsl Rookie
Rookie
Message 15 of 20 (835 Views)

My experience with the problem which obviously is one of the several engineering design shortcomings of the model which aimed high but unforunately hit low. (Other engineering mistakes (apart from bad thermal management (active and passive) which breaks the fan prematurely are insufficient rigidity (when using the laptop!!! on your lap, resting both arms on the panel klicks the right mouse button from beneath!!!) and useless WiFi) is the following:

The helicopter noise which renders the notebook unusable came after several weeks of making some (tolerable) noise, so it was no great surprise, nevertheless it was on a trip away from facilities and other computers that I could use. So I took the thing apart, following the instructions in the video and lubricated the fan bearing (axis) with wd-40 and sewing machine oil.

The effect didn't start immediately. It took the fan more than an hour of operation to "react" (which under the circumstances was several days since it was too loud to work with and I thought the experiment had failed). But then suddenly the fan run as silently as NEVER before. Not even when it was brand new. The fan noise was always a problem with this computer, now it ceased to be. Moreover, this has been 3 months ago and the fan is still running in stealth mode (the computer is used daily for a couple of hours). I have ordered a replacement fan for the time it will start to rattle again, should it start again, but from what I see it might be another three or even 12 months. So yes, I vote SOLVED! (At least buys you a long time to order a new fan).

The reason I am writing this is: if the solution does not work immediately, give it some time (leave it on and go out of the room, after an hour, maybe more, maybe less, it should stop. I lost days that I could not do any useful work on the trip for not knowing that.

Apprentice
Message 16 of 20 (815 Views)

My experience with the 'WD-40' trick is that it buys you only a few days at best. The noise is generated by a failed bearing (and excess movement from the axis). Oil or lubcricant works to address the symptomps, but not the cause. Within 7 days, this fan (or its bearing) will have destroyed itself.

Apprentice
Message 17 of 20 (806 Views)

Absolutely agree and sorry if I led anyone down the wrong path before. The WD40 trick on the hub of the fan where the ball barings are lasts for about 48 hours to 5 days max and then it's back to the horrible grinding buzz saw noise on the fan. I'm on the 3rd fan replacement now bought from ebay, hopefully this latest generation of fan will last longer than the 13-16 months the other two fans lasted. very easy to replace. Just remember to clearn out the old thermatic paste with alcocol and a cotton bud maybe betwen the CPU  and the copper heatsing rods and then apply some new thermatic paste. 

My Sony Vaio Pro 13 is still going strong with Windows 10 and no problems with fan noise with 8 hours use per day for 6 months now .

Apprentice
Message 18 of 20 (803 Views)

Good tips. Do you have the Core i5 model? Also, can you recommend a good eBay source for the fans?

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 19 of 20 (736 Views)

my Sony vaio Pro 13 actually has a core i7.

The one I bought was this one from Ebay and from this seller 'nyciti2', for future ref. the ad reads "New ORIG CPU Cooling Fan for Sony Vaio Pro13 SVP132A1CL SVP132190X SVP13213CXB". My model is a SVP132A2CM and it works fine....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ORIG-CPU-Cooling-Fan-for-Sony-Vaio-Pro13-SVP132A1CL-SVP132190X-SVP132...

Remember you don't "have to" re-thermal paste the processor etc under the copper heat dissipating rods but you can if you want to, if you suspect that Sony have gone 'cheap' on the paste used. To replace the fan you don't have to remove the copper rods because at the end they have a 'holder' where you unscrew the oldfan and screw in the new fan. Take a photo of the two connectors to the fan if you are unsure which way up they should go. I can't remember if the fan was put on with some sticky glue to the main copper rods or to the metal vent grill at the side of your laptop (you won't have to do this probagbly) but that comes off easily if you have to do it. (I even replaced the copper rods once but that was uncessarty in hidsight).

Apprentice
Message 20 of 20 (718 Views)

Thanks for the great info - it's good to capture this information online as a resource for later. As for whether to use thermal paste or not, my opinion is that it is compulsory for an effective connection.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook