Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 10 (1,345 Views)
Accepted Solution

What to do??

Ok, here goes...

I've got a sony vaio pcg-6q1l year 2006 with Vista Biz OS....

It was given to me and hasn't been used in a few years but after cleaning up and off data that I didn't want and it a

well functioning laptop.

Problem: I'm trying to do updates  such as SP2 but when I do, I get a screen back telling me that I must have SP1 installed...

I do...I've done it three times and even shows it's installed with my Updates.

I have auto updates turned on but no good because I keep getting update alerts for installing SP1...

What the heck is going on?

Should I delete all the SP1's that show up on the updates listing and then install the SP1 from the Update notice

I keep getting???

I know there is no support for Vista any longer but who cares as long a the OS/laptop is working great?

I definitely DO NOT WANT TO UPGRADE TO WIN 10, PERIOD!

SOOoooo...what to do...any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! >Smiley Happy

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 10 (1,305 Views)

Re: What to do??

Do a clean install of Windows 7.

Message 3 of 10 (1,245 Views)

Hi Magnogreato

Welcome to Sony Community!

We strongly recomment contacting Microsoft tehcnical support or go to their community support https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/sony-vaio-audio-problem-.... They are better equipped to answer your question about the SP1 version,

Regards,

Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 10 (1,226 Views)

JenF wrote:

Hi Magnogreato

Welcome to Sony Community!

...blah blah...

Regards,

Jen

Answered your question? Glad I could help! Please Click the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Jen, you clearly didn't read or comprehend the OPs problem.  He has **Vista**, not Windows 10, and he doesn't want Windows 10, and it probably won't run either due to no drivers.  Windows 7 is the best he might be able to do.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 10 (1,221 Views)

[ Edited ]

Go to microsoft directly for the Vista SP2 link: 

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=vista%20Service%20pack%202

This is NOT an automatic windows update, but rather requires you to manually update, they have both 32 bits and 64 bits version, depends on yr OS. 

If, yr SP1 has error or issues, you may consider SP1 as well, here: 

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=vista%20Service%20pack%201

A lots of people encounter problems with microsoft automatic Windows Update, some says it "hangs forever", while others are having problems with another OS, ie, Windows 10 of it's creator's Update. 

Hope it helps !

p.s. I don't work for Sony here, just another guy who has problem, too, 

p.s. #2: Sony will pull the plug on driver's support for Vista and earlier OS this coming March, you may want to download a copy of drivers/ update for yr computer before they remove it from the website !

Rookie
Message 6 of 10 (1,113 Views)

Thanks, you solved my problem too <3

Message 7 of 10 (1,093 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi dirk_diggler,

I appreciate your comment here. I read and understood what Magnogreato's issue was, that's why I referred him to Microsoft Community forum. The SP1 is part of the operating system installed on the computer and not a driver from Sony. 

I also thank lafite1968 for your detailed information that would definitely help other customers that has the same issue. 

Have a great day.

- Jenf

Expert
Message 8 of 10 (1,077 Views)

Dear JenF, 

You are welcomed. I guess we all here have good hearts, sometimes trying to solve our problems by asking others, sometimes when 1 knows, will try to help out others, afterall, this is what the forum here is all about, right !

You guys have been under a lots of pressure, since VAIO no longer under the Sony's umbrella, and I remember you helped me on many issues....

Oooh BTW, I have a posting asking for help: 

http://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Windows-10/Driver-s-Update-and-Sony-s-Update-SVF15N25CXS/m-p/66195...

Would you mind,...that would saves me a lots of time searching....BTW, i alreadt went ahead did the sony's driver update, but still needs the F-key directory....very very important...a life saver to my laptop one of these day,....thx

Expert
Message 9 of 10 (204 Views)

Just would like to follow up...how did go?

Please click the "thumb-up" / kudo, so that I know...

Hope it helps...

Expert
Message 10 of 10 (203 Views)

Hello Jimmi99:

How did go? Does the info I mentioned helps?? 

Please click the "thumb-up/ kudo" so that I know,...

Hope it helps,

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook