Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Upgrade, Backup, & Recovery

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 3 (459 Views)

Help with outdated sony vaio laptop outdated and not been on for over a year

I have a sony vaio the computer is out of date I just received the power cord and turned it on but I am concerned about overloading the system with updates and making it completely useless. The current operating system is Windows XP model number PCG-7A2L VGN-FS640/W Is is possible to upgrade to Windows 8 or 8.1 without causing more problems? I have WiFi internet and wanted to wait until I can get some guidance knowing how quickly it can turn into total ****** very quickly. Thia computer seems to be in good shape other then the outdated XP so if I should just use it as it is I can make adjustments as I really do not care for Windows 10 at all it seems as we move ahead we lose more and more control over our computers. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 3 (424 Views)

Re: Help with outdated sony vaio laptop outdated and not been on for over a year

[ Edited ]

It will be very very challenging to upgrade the OS, you see, according to the specs info page of yr computer, it has:

-512 MB memory only, unless you previously updated to at least 4GB 

-Graphics card is 128 MB, 

-Processor is 1.6 Ghz

Hardwares are kind of weak to run Windows 7 or Windows 8/ 8.1

https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/VGNFS640Wrevised_mksp.pdf

Hope it helps, 

p.s. Perhaps other OS such as Linux, or Google Chrome OS,...their hardware requirement are not that demanding...

p.s. #2: I don't work for Sony here, just another guy who also have computer questions and come to this forum, it's the idea we all come together & help out each other,...

Expert
Message 3 of 3 (87 Views)

Re: Help with outdated sony vaio laptop outdated and not been on for over a year

How did go? Does the info I mentioned, helps? 

Please click the "thumb-up"/ kudo, so that I know...

Hope it helps,...

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook