VAIO - Upgrade, Backup, & Recovery

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 18 (148,442 Views)
Accepted Solution

Not working Fn F5 and F6 keys for brightness control on my Vaio VPCF125FX

Not working Fn F5 and F6 keys for brightness control on my Vaio VPCF125FX, may anyboby can help me?

Message 2 of 18 (148,435 Views)

Re: Not working Fn F5 and F6 keys for brightness control on my Vaio VPCF125FX

Hi Arnoldasw,

If this is the original OS that came with the computer, then please download and reinstall the Sony® Shared Library, Sony® Notebook Utilities, NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M / 310M Video Driver to resolve issue.

Nick--

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 18 (148,387 Views)

Hi, my computer is having the same issue after upgrading from win  8 to 8.1. Mine is a SVE14A35CXH. do i need the same files?

Message 4 of 18 (148,357 Views)

Hi acyaman,

What this a clean install of Windows 8.1 or Upgrade?  If a clean install, Sony support in upgrading to Windows 8.1.  So please follow this Windows 8.1 Upgrade process.  There are certain software that needs to be doen prior to upgrading to Windws 8.1.  Please check the process.  But you can try downloading and installing VAIO Control Center Update

Nick--

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 18 (148,354 Views)

I wish I never tried upgrading. This is a nightmare. my lcd got all messed, my funciton keys don't work. The fact there are so many little bugs related to this update, and the almost nonexistant information about what to do before upgrading is almost absurd. So I did a clean refresh of my pc. Back to almost zero. But saved my perosnal files. I then, made sure all my vaio software and system updates were in order. Then I thought, because I didnt do this the first time, this will fix the issue. i did a reinstallation of 8.1 from the windows 8 store. And voila, it appeared to be fixed. Except for the horizontal lines accross the bottom of my screen, the function keys returned to normal working condition. I thought it was fixed. This was last night. I put the computer to sleep over night, and resuming from sleep, the function keys don't work again. I think I'm just going to reinstall windows, because  this is ridiculous. 

I read somewhere as well, that the horizontal lines means theres something wrong with the display drivers, or the lcd itself. I tried everythig to fix it, i fear though that it's tied into all the misfiring going on with my upgrade. I even checked an external display, plugging into one and finding the lines do not project onto that second screen, so it could be a hardware issue, that only seeemed to happen when i went through an unsuccessful attempt at upgrading my os.

Message 6 of 18 (148,350 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi acyaman,

What you can do is try installing the Windows 8 drivers for those 3 I mentioned (Sony Shared library, Sony Notebook Utilities, and the video drivers) here.  See if that will work.

Nick--

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 18 (148,344 Views)

Thanks I will try this. 

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 18 (148,343 Views)

I just went through the vaio control center and did some driver redownload/install that way, and restarted teh computer. the funtions are working again, but these horizontal lines are still here. i'm worried that the failed attempt to upgrade initially did something bad to my lcd.

Message 9 of 18 (148,339 Views)

Hi acyaman,

Can you see if you are able to see those line in bios?  Bios is not related to windows, so that would eliminate the software issue.  Also software does not cause lines on screen.  In this case, it could be back lcd or video card.  So if you are able to see in bios, that is a hardware issue and service is need it.

Nick--

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 18 (148,329 Views)

Okay, thanks for the tips. I did get into the bios, but f2 didn't work. I had to use the asist button.  The horizonal lines are there too. So its a hardware issue then. YOu say it could be the lcd or the video card. I read something someone posted about it can possibly be anything from malicious virus to the pin connectors into the screen itself. I guss theres no way to tell unless i get it to sony for them to open it up. It could also be a video card issue? 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook