VAIO - Upgrade, Backup, & Recovery

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor
Message 1 of 3 (3,888 Views)
Accepted Solution

VPCF-22SFX Recovery Error Code: 385

On disk 5 of 5, near the end of the file copy portion, an error screen appears with Error Code: 385. "An error occurred while executing an application."

I had wiped my disk, so there is no recovery partition, only the recovery disks. The disks are fine and I can see some files were not copied from disk 5.

What is this error? How to circumvent it? What is remediation?
Occasional Contributor
Message 2 of 3 (3,887 Views)

Re: VPCF-22SFX Recovery Error Code: 385

I was fortunate to have imaged partitions 1 and 2 and the boot sector. Only by restoring them would the restore work. Using linux:

assuming sda is source. Run from mounted external drive.

1: Save Boot Sector and partition table
$ dd if=/dev/sda of=bootsector.img bs=512 count = 1

2: Save partition 1 (around 17G, 17,775,460,352 bytes)
$ dd if=/dev/sda1 of=part1.img

3: Save partition 2 (around 100MB, 104,857,600)
$ dd if=/dev/sda2 of=part2.img

I don't bother to copy Windows. So to restore, reverse the commands to restore each .img file to /dev/sda.

Something is broken with the recovery software on disks, but it restores fine from disk. C'mon Sony. Fix the process.
Occasional Contributor
Message 3 of 3 (3,887 Views)

Re: VPCF-22SFX Recovery Error Code: 385

I received new Recovery media. Installed a fresh system, recreated new recovery media. The newly generated recovery media installed properly. There was obviously a defect in the system installed software that prevented accurate recovery media to be created. I appreciate Sony's Advanced Customer Response team's quick response to this issue and making it right.

My recommendation, always make a partition copy of the master boot record, and partitions 1 and 2 so they can be restored to a new disk if need be and recovery media is not handy or useful.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook