Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Windows 10

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 4 (410 Views)

Excessive Data Usage over metered connection

I have a TAP 20 third gen i5 using Win 10 which I use primarily on a metered connection due to my location. I have the hotspot connection I use set up as a metered connection.  This worked fine until a few months ago when my data usage rates started climbing. It is now using about double the amount of data that it should. Monitoring email and doing Google searches without any video or uploads over a three hour period uses 200-400MB. Uploading a 4MB pic consumes 8MB. I have replaced my Galaxy 7 phone and shutdown all background apps on the computer and phone and the same thing keeps happening. My ISP has no further suggestions. No one appears to be home at Sony other than the company they have contracted to for tech support.  I suspect this is something that is based on a modification of the Sony base software done during one of their upgrades. Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 4 (375 Views)

Re: Excessive Data Usage over metered connection

It sounds like,...yr internet usage has been shared by 3rd party,...by any chance, do you use VPN? If so, there is a big chance that it's the VPN shares yr internet connection.

Hope it helps,....

p.s. i don't work for Sony here, just another who also have computer problems,..it's the idea we all come together and try to help out each other...

Rookie
Message 3 of 4 (312 Views)

I live out in a rural area and someone would have to be on my property consistantly to use this hotspot link from my phone. Phone based hotspots have a range of about 75 feet.   My nearest neighbor is 200 feet away. Were I in the city I would be more concerned about this.

Expert
Message 4 of 4 (295 Views)

Hotspot and VPN are 2 different things. 

If you use a VPN ( i am not saying you are, but rather asking) yr internet usage will most likely be shared by that VPN 's other user. 

If it is NOT VPN related, you'd better run some anti virus/ anti malware to ensure yr comnputer is clean. 

Honestly, it is a little strange. Hope it helps....

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook