Welcome to the Community!

VAIO - Windows 10

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 21 of 28 (1,304 Views)

Re: Message sent to Sony Communications Department

Dirk - I fear there will be little aftermarket for systems that are not upgradeable

Apprentice
Message 22 of 28 (1,298 Views)

Thanks. I've emailed Gephardt. Have you gotten any response?

Apprentice
Message 23 of 28 (1,257 Views)

Since someone who is monitoring this board obviously does not want me posting the e-amil address of their North American Communications Office, nor the name of its Senior Director, let me provide an alternative path to contacting them.  Go to the top of this page and click on the Sony logo.  Scroll to the bottom of that page and click on the "Contact Us" link on the very bottom line.  Under "Media Relations Contacts" click on the "Sony Corporations of America" link.  Finally, click on the L*** G*****dt link to generate an e-mail to the Senior Director of Corporate Communications.  Please, let's bombard their headquarters with requests that they fulfill their ongoing obligation to support our security.  If this doesn't work, it may become necessary to pursue legal action in the form of a class action lawsuit, but I certainly hope that it will not come to that.

Enthusiast
Message 24 of 28 (1,250 Views)

You might want to also try sending an email to the Media Relations Contact for Sony Electronics.

Enthusiast
Message 25 of 28 (1,234 Views)

Re: URGENT - BIOS Upgrades for Meltdown & Spectre from Jeff

[ Edited ]

I'm in the same boat with my 2013 Vaio Fit 15E. FWIW, I haven't really seen OEMs providing firmware updates for PCs with pre-6th Generation Intel CPUs.

Even Intel themselves seem loathe to provide drivers for older hardware. I suspect this is the problem. Intel is trying to put the onus on OEMs to provide updates, but unless they develop and release said updates OEMs can't modify them appropriately for customer machines downstream anyway.

That said, Intel's Meltdown test utility said I wasn't vulnerable after patching, so hey.

Enthusiast
Message 26 of 28 (1,230 Views)

jetster wrote:
All I can say is that if Sony doesn't step up and do the right thing they will be DEAD to me and many other consumers. They should know that Consumers that have been burned by a vendor tend to have VERY long memory.

And by DEAD it means I'll NEVER EVER buy another Sony product (e.g., TV, Xperia, or anything else they sell). And I will be a SERIOUS detractor for anything Sony. I'll tell everyone I know to NOT buy Sony anything Sony based on my experience.

What can I say I hold a grudge and I'm quite vocal on Social Media. I'll get my pound of flesh one way or another if they don't step up and do the right thing.

Cheers

Gonna be a lot of "dead" (in the sense you referenced) OEMs when this is over. Sony isn't the only one; Intel in general doesn't do updates for older CPUs, which means OEMs (who generally don't write CPU code) can't either.

Enthusiast
Message 27 of 28 (1,226 Views)

dirk_diggler wrote:
Dump your machine on craigslist or eBay before everyone else does the same.

That would be nice if Spectre didn't already exist, with code showing attacks using Javascript running in web browsers. Just about every CPU in existence is vulnerable to Spectre, and from what I've heard fixing it requires a fundamental rethink of CPU design. At this point we just have to pray a bad actor doesn't weaponize it before hardware mitigations hit market. The odds aren't exactly in our favor.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 28 of 28 (1,214 Views)

jdrch wrote:

dirk_diggler wrote:
Dump your machine on craigslist or eBay before everyone else does the same.

That would be nice if Spectre didn't already exist, with code showing attacks using Javascript running in web browsers. Just about every CPU in existence is vulnerable to Spectre, and from what I've heard fixing it requires a fundamental rethink of CPU design. At this point we just have to pray a bad actor doesn't weaponize it before hardware mitigations hit market. The odds aren't exactly in our favor.

You are assuming that others are aware of this just like we are.  This is incorrect.  We are a minority.  Most people have no clue about Spectre and Meltdown and will be buying these machines for a long time completely oblivious.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook